One of the best ways to carry your young toddler is Mei Tai Slings (also called Meh Dai). They are made from a large panel with 4 straps. Mei Tai carriers are easy to put on and are comfortable to wear.
Recent scientific researches have found out that the use of baby slings will provide your baby with numerous benefits.
- It will lower the risk of Flat Head Syndrome.
- It will provide the baby with better development of both mentally and physically.
- It will also create a closer and a healthy relationship with the baby and the parent.
Mei Tai carriers have become popular because they provide extra comfort to the caregiver. It includes no buckles or any pressure points. They are made from woven wrap material that are specially designed to carry heavy weights. You will find it quite supportive from birth to childhood.
All Mei Tai Slings are machine washable and reversible. They are made from soft materials. There is a structured back panel for your baby. This carrier has an attachable hood. The length of the shoulder wraps and the waist straps are about 2.2 meters.
Mei Tai slings are available in a wide range of colors and patterns that you will crave to wear. You will find a Mei Tai Sling that will suit each and every outfit you’ve got.
We usually recommend Mei Tai’s for babies 15 lbs (7kg) to 44 lbs (20kg) and for babies who are older than 4 months of age.
Mei Tai’s are popular among the caregivers because of the flexibility more than the structured, fixed shape of buckle carriers in the market.
What we love about Mei Tai Baby Carrier:
- Easy to learn and use.
- Versatility. These slings can be used in almost any position that will keep you comfortable.
- This includes attractive prints and patterns that you’d crave to have.
- These are ideal for those who have back or shoulder problems because these will distribute weight over both the shoulders.
- This has no buckles, no stiff waistbands.
- This has no bulk padding at the shoulders or waist. (minimalist feel) This means they have a simple, natural feel.
- One size suit for all. So, the caregivers of different sizes can share and use this without any problem.
- Machine washable
- This is suitable for front, back and hip carry.
- This is sturdy, strong and comfortable.
- These are independently tested to meet the BS EN 13209-2:2005 standard.
Not ideal for using in wet and muddy days. (because of the difficulty of keeping straps from dragging on the ground)
- Not ideal for people who are not able to tie and untie knots.
- Not ideal for newborn nursing. There are better carriers for that purpose.
- Not ideal for people who are only interested in hip carry because there are much easier hip carriers.
Still having questions? Still wondering whether this is the best choice for you and your loving baby? Up to now, we’ve covered quite a large area about Mei Tai Slings. But still, there can be some doubts to be clarified about babywearing. Here are some of the frequently asked questions and the possible solutions for them.
Is using this ok if you have back problems?
If you are having health conditions such as a previous spinal or back injury, you may be wondering whether this is safe for you or not. Sometimes there may be pregnancy related issues and you may require perinatal and postnatal physiotherapy.
Most of the Mei Tai slings have been designed ergonomically. It is designed considering the safety of your baby as well as yours. The baby’s weight is distributed equally through the whole upper body and shoulders.
If you have existing medical problems just consult your doctor for further advice. Or you can try an online support from medicine related forums.
Why is this good for you and your baby?
- Helps mothers to gain the fitness level back after the birth of the baby.
- Assists with breast milk production.
- Regulation and reduction in postpartum anxiety in mother.
Is this safe to use?
This is the fact that you should consider most before using any kind of baby carrier. Baby carriers come with instruction manuals. There are hundreds of videos available for reassurance. You have to follow the guidelines when carrying the baby with you.
If you follow the instructions correctly, Mei Tai carriers are very safe and secure for the baby.
The best Mei Tai Baby Carriers of 2019
Selecting a sling or a wrap that will fulfill your baby’s needs is not that easy. If you have no any experience in using baby carriers, you have to carefully consider the features. Whether you are an experienced caregiver or a novice, this guide will help you to make the right choice.
- Didymos Mei Tai
- Catbird Mei Tai
- Liliput Mei Tai
- Infantino Sash Wrap
- Hooded Mei Tai Carrier with Pocket
Didymos Mei Tai
- Made from eco-friendly materials.
- Available in different colors and design patterns.
- Healthy positioning for the toddler’s hip joints.
- Easy to breastfeed in.
- The available carrying positions are front, hip and back.
- The light material may not be ideal for winter season.
Catbird Mei Tai
- These can be used for petite wearers.
- Allows outward facing.
- There is a padded headrest included. It can be folded down when not using.
- These are not suitable for plus size caregivers because of the waist and shoulder strap length.
Liliput Mei Tai
- Machine washable.
- These can be ironed.
- Made from organic material.
- These support little spines regardless of the age.
- Can be used for babies up to 33 lbs.
- One disadvantage is shoulders are not padded.
- Recommended for babies from 6-8 weeks old.
Infantino Sash Wrap
- There is a detachable hood.
- Machine washable.
- These are suitable for nursing.
- This comes in different pretty prints.
- There is no outward facing option.
- Some will find this bulky because of too much material.
Hooded Mei Tai Carrier with Pocket
- These are easy to use.
- These come with instructions and also online videos.
- Can be used for babies up to 33 lbs.
- These are reversible.
- There is a pocket in order to keep the hood in or loose change.
Some may find it